What does self-esteem look like?
How you see yourself has a lot to do with how you think, feel and act.
When self-esteem is high you’re more likely to:
- Find satisfaction in being healthy
- Establish strong, healthy relationships
- Set goals and reach them
- Take life’s ups and down in stride
- Have the confidence to overcome problems
When self-esteem is low you’re most likely to:
- Feel that life is beyond control
- Be overwhelmed by stress
- avoid accepting challenges
- Expect failure-and find it!
How do you build your self-esteem:
Change won’t come overnight. But, you can achieve results. Here are some tips:
- Be honest with yourself - healthy self-esteem starts with an accurate picture of yourself. Everyone has faults and strengths take some time to identify yours, and learn to work with them.
- Be willing to improve - believe that you can overcome your weaknesses and develop your strengths. It may take some time, but you can succeed if you try.
- Do your best - always strive to get the most from your abilities. But don’t put too much pressure on yourself, no one is perfect every time.
- Set your own goals – don’t compare yourself to others. Instead, set your own standards for success, and strive to reach them.