As we all know, yoga has become extremely popular now in America. However, I’m sure if you think about who does yoga, a certain image may arise in your mind. Maybe some slender, muscular male or female balancing on their hands. What about everyone else? Especially individuals with any type of disability. I found an article that addresses this issue. There is an upcoming first annual accessible yoga conference in Santa Barbara, CA. The founder of the accessible yoga movement, Jivana Heyman, is interviewed in this article.
- This conference will center on the awareness of adaptive yoga for individuals with disabilities or chronic illness.
- The mission is to share yoga with everyone. It’s not just a physical practice.
- Adaptive yoga students and yoga teachers will be attending the conference in order to build & empower the community.
- Teachers and adaptive students will be trained first hand from the experts at the conference.
- Learning to attend to the needs of adaptive yoga students.
- Debunking the popular image of the yogi. Yoga is for all bodies.
- Sponsors will be present & addressing the issue of affordable yoga teacher training.
If you would like to go to the conference or get involved in this movement click the link below:
It’s common knowledge how healing yoga and meditation is. The benefits of both are plentiful; not just for the body but for the mind and spirit. I came across an article in Yoga Journal discussing the healing powers of yoga and meditation for Veterans. The article itself doesn’t go into too much detail about the healing process. It does however, state the positive results that yoga and meditation provide for Veterans: decreased insomnia, anger, depression, anxiety, and symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The article also interviewed five Veterans that have practiced yoga and meditation. The major themes of their experiences with yoga seemed to be it helped them accept themselves, opened their hearts, provided empowerment, and concentration.
Lastly, the article discusses the Mindful Yoga Therapy for Veterans program. This is a really awesome training to do if you are already a yoga teacher or just want to give back to the Veteran community. For Veterans, this is a program that may be offered at a local VA Hospital! It’s a win win!
For more info & the slide show of the Veterans interviewed click below:
Check out the Mindful Yoga Therapy website for training opportunities and programs near you: